Thursday, December 31, 2009

An Aside

In my last post, I admitted to completely giving up my humble ideals in order to have a 'big' (in our little universe, at least) wedding. I feel I should explain myself a little bit, at least. We've had many friends get married over the last couple of years. Not one of those weddings was a small affair. They varied in style and cost, but all were celebrations of the love that our friends shared for one another. I really think that my life is richer for having been a part, large or small, of all of those weddings. I'm grateful to know so many people who have found their life partner, and that they chose to let me share in some small part the expression of their love by attending their weddings.

In short, I hope that with our wedding, David and I are able to give back some of the joy that we have experienced at all these other weddings. If we were to elope, that couldn't happen. That may not be a good reason, but it's ours.

Love and kisses,
The Fiancee

1 comment:

  1. I had the same feelings as you, B.E., and now, looking back at my wedding in October, feel I was able to balance "oh, we should have something small," with, "but we can't be TOO casual about the whole affair.."

    I don't subscribe to the notion, "It's a day you're going to remember for the rest of your life, blah blah blah, go all out, blah blah blah." The reality, is, yes, you will remember it forever and it is super important, but no matter how you do it, you'll have those memories, particularly if your closest friends and family are there with you.

    Another reality is the day will be over before you know it and it's very stressful, if you have bills hanging over your head, figuring out how to start your new married life and pay for everything you've just done. I was very excited in the months leading up to the wedding but also rather frustrated because pretty much every cent we had saved together as a couple went to that one day. Our savings was depleted and it has taken months for us to be able to afford other major purchases (e.g. important home projects.)

    Ways you can save money: bargain shop for music, food and photography. Don't be afraid to put one person's quote up against another's. Borrow a friend's veil. :-) Have a friend marry you. Make the flower arrangments yourself (my mother, bridesmaids and I got the flowers from Big Y - we ordered them in advance - and made the arrangements the day before the wedding.) Don't have an open bar. Do your own makeup.

    Those are just a few thoughts. :-)

    ReplyDelete