Thursday, June 24, 2010

Counting Down

I was checking one of our registry sites today to see if we had added mini-muffin tins (we hadn't, but they're there now!) and was informed by Crate & Barrel that there were "100 days until your (our) event."

What??

In planning for our wedding, I've always taken comfort in the fact that the wedding was MORE than 100 days away. It seemed a lifetime away.

To deal with the ensuing panic following this revelation, I thought it best to clear my head. We are fortunate to have a lovely park adjacent to our office "park," which D and I frequent on our lunch hour. Today my love was chained to his desk for a seemingly fruitless task, so I took off on my own for some power walking and inner venting.

As I walked past the toddlers and their nannies playing on the jungle gyms, I thought about the mountain of tasks left to do. We haven't finalized the text for our invitations, let alone gotten them printed and assembled. I still don't have my bridal jewelry (if you know me, you know this is important). My sister and mother have yet to find dresses. What are we going to do for placecards? And seating charts? What about the bar--wine and beer or liquor too?

Deep breath, Emily.

I rounded the park for my second lap and maneuvered around a pair of dogwalkers. I tried to think about the things that ARE done. I have my dress, all altered and sitting in my closet in Massachusetts. David has his suit. We've (mostly) settled on centerpieces. Our menu is set. Dessert is a work in progress, but with my sister at the helm I have no qualms about it being deliciously decadent. We have our DJ, and ceremony musicians.

As a passenger plane from the neighboring Santa Monica airport blasted off feet away from me, I reminded myself of the reason that we are doing all of this. I counted my blessings that David has been so, so involved every step of the way (which is particularly good, I tell my friends, because I really am terribly lazy). I considered my luck in having a mother, and future mother-in-law, who have opinions, but no demands for our special day. I gratefully thought of the many friends who have offered their help as we plan and prepare.

I return to you refreshed and ready for the task at hand. Bring it on, October 2nd. We're going to be ready for you.

xo
The Fiancee

No comments:

Post a Comment